A new Inklingo quilter recently asked me what to print for one 9 x 9 inch Carolina Lily block. She has
- the FREE Inklingo Shape Collection (Diamond/Triangles/Square)
- the new Leaf Sashing 3.18 inch Shape Collection
She wants to make a pretty, small wall hanging with one block.
MONKEY’S CHEAT SHEET
We prepared Monkey’s Cheat Sheet for her (and you). It is an easy way to stay organized no matter what design you are sewing.
Blank Cheat Sheets are included in most shape collections. There is also an example on the website under the Support tab (with lots of other good stuff).
COUNTING THE SHAPES
Even with only two or three fabrics, counting the pieces required from each fabric can be confusing, but it all becomes clear if you cut up a worksheet.
- Make a copy of the worksheet with your design.
- Put the original of the design in a safe place. Do not cut it up.
- Cut the copy of the worksheet into sections or blocks (above).
- Sort the blocks into identical piles.
- Record the number of each block and the number of each unit (one column for each unit).
- Record the final count on Monkey’s Cheat Sheet.
This method even works for very complicated designs. Now all you have to do is look up efficient custom paper sizes and the yardage requirements in the Catalogue of Shapes and record them on Monkey’s Cheat Sheet.
Printing Custom Sizes allows you to use fabric very efficiently. There are suggestions for each layout illustrated in the Catalogue of Shapes.
If you need a quantity that is not listed, or if you are working with irregular scraps of fabric, you can print on scrap paper first to set a good size.
OUR 4 BEST TIPS
- Count your blessings.
- Cut apart the worksheet to make it easy to identify how many you need of each shape in each fabric.
- Use a pencil to fill out Monkey’s Cheat Sheet. Monkey is in charge of the eraser.
- Save your Cheat Sheets in an Inklingo binder.
FOR THE DESIGNER IN YOU
Whether you are a new quilter or a professional designer, Inklingo makes your life easier.
Choose your design and prepare a worksheet and a summary on Monkey’s Cheat Sheet (or similar) for your own custom Inklingoable pattern.
You can rely on the detailed instructions for cutting, sewing, and pressing in the design books and the shape collections.
FREE CHEAT SHEET
The downloadable PDF is oriented so you can read it on the computer, but if you print it, choose Landscape mode.
You might also like:
- How to print on fabric best tips
- How to print custom page sizes
(Top Ten Tutes tab above the header on this page)
- How to print on fabric checklist
Are you on Facebook or Pinterest? We would love to see you there. You can subscribe to get an email to be sure you don’t miss new things on the blog. (Right sidebar).
Let the fun begin!
Linda & Monkey
New to Inklingo? Order and download free shapes and start sewing in the next few minutes. Quick Start (Always FREE.) There are triangles, diamonds, and squares in the free collection—great for dozens of different blocks.
$10 Coupon! 6 Year Anniversary Special on the handbook